We all know beginning a Whole 30 can seem daunting. Thirty days of delicious, pure, whole foods? No ice cream?! I know, I know. But trust me. You CAN do this!
All it takes is a little preparation and a whole 'lotta mindset. With that in mind, here are ten tips to help you get started.
1) Clear out the foods you WON’T be eating.
Put them away, give them away, or throw them away. Just move them out of sight. And if your whole family won’t be completing the Whole d30 with you...
2) Create a separate shelf in your pantry and fridge for your Whole 30 approved foods.
Choose one that's in your line of sight so that you can see what you’ve got as soon as you open the door.
3) Tell your family and friends what you’re doing!
You’re going to need their support, especially from the ones that LIVE with you. Ask them politely not to offer you non-Whole 30 approved foods during these 30 days.
4) Google, Google, Google.
Not sure if a food is safe to eat while on Whole 30? Your new best friend is going to be Google. You can literally type in “xyz food, Whole 30” and get multiple links to an answer that has probably been asked before.
5) Whip out a calendar and start looking at the month ahead.
What upcoming events and gatherings do you have? Start thinking now about how you will navigate those...ie, bringing your own food, eating beforehand, etc.
6) Utilize Pinterest, Instagram, and yes Google again to find recipes, meal plans, and more.
Type in “Whole 30 Breakfasts” on Pinterest or use hashtags on IG like, #whole30meals or #whole30approved - There is a LOT out there!
7) Write down 5 quick and easy meals that will be your “go-to” when you’re tired, short on time, hangry, and can’t think of what else to make.
Post it on the fridge where you will SEE it! Example: rotisserie chicken, baked sweet potato fries, salad. OR, Omelet with veggies + fruit.
8) Post a list of non-food activities to choose from when you’re stressed, bored, or just need a distraction to ride out a craving.
(Take a walk, call a friend, paint your nails, take a bath, stretch, do yoga, sip some hot tea.)
9) Write out your goals.
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? What do you hope to achieve? Do you want to sleep better? Have more energy? Squash your inner sugar demons? Figure out which foods are giving you trouble and contributing to symptoms? Whatever your reasons, write them down and refer back to them when you start to feel discouraged (you will) or are tempted to quit.
10) Know that you CAN do this!
You are not giving up ice cream forever - just for 30 days. You are CHOOSING to fill your body with whole, unprocessed foods that are going to nourish you and provide your body with ingredients it recognizes. And at the end of 30 days, you will be so glad that you did! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! Yay!!!